As the Contracts Surveyor, you will ensure projects are commercially controlled and delivered in line with the clients requirements to the company’s high standards.
Reporting to the Commercial Manager, this is a position within our business who will work within a team responsible for successful project delivery from pre-contract to end of defects period.
You will be expected to optimise site activities through cost management, monitoring and control over several multi-disciplined contracts simultaneously, whilst providing commercial support and mentoring to junior staff.
Typical project values are approx. £3m, but usually range between £1M and £6M.
The ability to complete the following tasks are essential to the role:
- Communicate and influence at all levels
- Work effectively whilst under pressure
- Complete commercial overview assessments of sub-contract orders, passing comments to the Commercial Manager
- Plan ahead and prioritise workload
- Prepare application and cash flow forecast projections for project durations
- Complete the pre-construction buying schedules for team procurement and update monthly
- Analyse proposed procurement of project sub-contract packages, ensuring best value
- Draft sub-contract and principal plant orders, ensuring they are robust and detail the required scope of works
- Capture and value all project variations in accordance with the sub-contract terms
- Ensure all costs are accurately recorded on our procurement system (COINS) and the project buying schedule
- Review sub-contract applications and issue appropriate payment notices as required under the contract
- Prepare and issue project applications as required under the contract
- Complete monthly project forecast cost reports and trading reviews
- Prepare and issue commercial monthly project reports
- Complete monthly CVR’s for all projects
- Compile detailed and concise EOT, including supporting information
- Assist operational colleagues with project account management
Key Skills & Knowledge
- The following knowledge and training is essential to the role:
- 3 years prior experience in commercial or pre-construction role
- Working knowledge of JCT and NEC suite of contracts
- Holds current professionally qualified CSCS card, or meets the eligibility criteria
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office & system databases
- Full clean driving licence
The following training is beneficial to the role:
- Background training in Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing
- HNC or HND in building services
- Quantity Surveying formal academic training